Wednesday, July 4, 2012

"Mind the Gap": Session 2

1)      In chapter one of Diane Ravitch’s The Death and Life of the Great American School System there are a number of quotes that stand out to me, but I will only focus on two.
“In my writings I have consistently warned that, in education, there are no shortcuts, no utopias, no silver bullets. For certain, there are no magic feathers that enable elephants to fly”   (p. 3). I think it’s easy for people to believe in the latest fad in education because we want an easy fix to our problem. If only there were a magic potion that would create dynamic teachers, highly engaged and motivated students, higher test scores or even better no need for high test scores!  However the reality is that there is no magic potion that can fix things, it takes dedication from us as teachers to create a magical environment within our classrooms despite all the constraints we face.
“I began ‘seeing like a statue,’ looking at schools and teachers and students from an altitude of 20,000 feet and seeing them as objects to be moves around by big ideas and great plans” (p. 10).  This quote is exactly what is wrong with policy writers, school reformers and all the like. Schools, teachers and students are not pawns to be moved around the checkerboard of educational reform. Reformers want to make subjects and teaching uniform so that all students are accessing education equally, but the truth is that not all students learn the same way. Along that same notion, all teachers do not have the same teaching style. I feel that if all reformers are “seeing like statues”, they are too far removed from the situation to be calling any shots.

2) In chapter two, Ravitch defines a well-educated person as a well rounded individual who can both create own ideas, and be respectful to others. I agree with her definition, I think it encompasses the type of individuals needed in the world. I would also include that a well-educated person should be passionate about something. It does not necessarily have to be something academic. I would also include skills in technology as a part of an individual’s repertoire.

3) I think many great points were brought up during our discussion. I think people had interesting opinions on the questions regarding improvement of curriculum and instruction vs. changes in structure and governance. I thought the most important statement that was made was that parents perhaps do not understand what curriculum is and that’s why it’s easy to point the finger at politicians, principals, superintendants, etc.  At Pittsburg High we host a parent workshop and inform parents on graduation requirements, p.e. uniforms, etc. but it would be nice if we could incorporate a brief presentation of education rhetoric/jargon. I wish I would have brought in this point during the discussion. It would be nice to see if any other schools do events like these or if it would be possible.

4) A gap that is high on my list is an extensive knowledge of theories of language acquisition. Here are some sources that can help me expand my knowledge of this topic.
a) Lightbown, P. & Spada, N. (2006). How Languages Are Learned.  Oxford, NY: Oxford University Press.
I took a course during my undergraduate studies and we used this book. It has information on how language is acquired, teaching for multiple intelligences, and even included a few strategies that could be used in the classroom. I would like to take a closer look at this text and see it through new lenses after having been in the classroom full time for a year.
b)      Myles, F. (2010).  The Development of Theories of Second Language Acquisition. Cambridge Journals, 43 (3),  320-332.
This article look at the evolution of theories over the course of the last 60 years. It is pretty interesting to see the changes and expansions of theories.
c)      Gehring, D. Second Language Acquisition Research Guide. Retrieves from http://apu.libguides.com/content.php?pid=46858&sid=345196
This website is hosted by the library at Azusa Pacific University. It helps people evaluate websites related to second language acquisition, and has external links to other websites, blogs and conferences. It can be a good starting point for conducting more research.

5) I have had two experiential learning opportunities so far in my research. The first took place a little over a month ago when I attended Carnaval in San Francisco. It was here that I was inspired and knew what I wanted to do for my capstone project. I looked into the history of Carvanal and learned its mission is to unite people through culture, and music, and dancing. This is what I want to capture in my capstone project. I want my students to relate to each other and to Spanish through culturally relevant experiences. The second experience was a visit to the San Francisco MOMA yesterday to see the Photograph in Mexico exhibit. The exhibit was really great and showed Mexico, Mexican history, and Mexican culture in many different lights. The exhibit was spread out in four rooms, each with a theme , but one could walk as they pleased. One thing that I learned was that  the MOMA has workshops where teachers can receive certifications to self-tour the museum with their students. I thought this is a great alternative to having someone from the museum give the tour. I did not know that was possible. The experiences make me excited to further research the impact of experiential learning, the importance of teaching culture, and the history of Latinos in the Bay Area.

6) Ask Meg a question:
            Meg, do you have any suggestions of places  that could be useful to my search of culturally relevant students studying Spanish  in the Bay Area? Also, would you recommend that I focus only on a certain numbers of cities instead of the Bay Area as a whole?

My Comments: 


Mike Rose: http://mikejas.blogspot.com/
Andrew Eckloff:  http://aeckloff.blogspot.com/ 
Troy Bristol: fatheadtroysmc.blogspot.com

8 comments:

  1. Hey Yadira! I agree with you that a well educated person should indeed have passion. i would hope that if a person goes onto higher education subject specific that they would have some passion. I like to think that anyway.

    I also like your idea for your project uniting people through culture, music, and dancing. Ie relating Spanish through culturally relevant experiences. This is the center focus of problem based learning as well. I want students to understand the relevance of what we are studying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yadira,

    It sounds like you have gotten a good jump on identifying experiential opportunities for your students around the bay area that will achieve your goal of uniting through culture. The bay area is a gold mine of cultural sites and experiences to draw from and I think that as you continue to look, you will find of lot of resources. Have you considered looking into experiential activities that you could bring into the classroom? Providing students with a list of experiential resources off campus and organizing field trips is awesome, but I think bringing something to the students would be beneficial as well. In your post you talk about uniting people through culture, and music, and dancing. Are there performance groups that would be willing to come to your classroom and play music and dance for the students, or even teach the students some dance. I wonder if there is a website for the Carnaval event that you went to that lists groups that performed there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yadira--

    Here are some of my initial thoughts:

    1) Definitely contact Myrna Santiago (a professor in several programs here on campus): http://www.stmarys-ca.edu/faculty-experts-directory/myrna-santiago-phd

    2) I have seen Ballet Folklorico perform, and they are incredible:
    http://www.stanford.edu/group/folklorico/cgi-bin/about.html

    3) I think Julie's idea of visiting the Rivera murals in San Francisco is fantastic:
    http://traveltips.usatoday.com/visit-diego-rivera-murals-san-francisco-11763.html

    4) I would love to see you share Cesar Chavez and Dolores Huerta's story with your students. Teaching Tolerance offers a free kit with a fantastic film:
    http://www.tolerance.org/viva

    And, you could possibly take your students to a parade or celebration of his life and legacy:
    http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Parade-and-fair-honor-Cesar-Chavez-3246206.php


    I will keep thinking.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yadira -

    I think the quote you chose from Ravitch (page 3) is a great choice, because it is so true. There is no "magic feather" to create a perfect school system or classroom. When you stated that the public wants an "easy fix," it made me think of fad diets promoted on television. And some school reform fads are like fad diets in a way - the "easy fix" feels more manageable in the moment, but it is only putting a bandage over the problem. The problem is still there, and will return in due time without long-lasting change and hard work from all stakeholders in education.

    You pinpointed great resources to bridge your gaps in language acquisition theory. I have a feeling you will be reading a lot about Krashen! Best of luck.

    -Alana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yadira--Your resources for extending your knowledge on theories of language acquisition are excellent. I visited the Azuza Pacific website and found some useful information. I think that is a "gap area" for several foreign language teachers, and the resources you listed will certainly help me in filling some of my own gaps.

    Your experiential learning opportunities sound perfect for your capstone project. I, too, was hoping to see the SF MOMA exhibit, but did not get a chance to go. I didn't know about the self-guided student tours either--what a wonderful way to bring culture to your classroom in a relevant and meaningful way. If you haven't yet researched the "Mexicanismo" exhibit at the San Jose Museum of Art, I would highly recommend it. I went to see it last week and it was fascinating. The exhibit could definitely be used in several ways in teaching Mexican-American/Chicano relations in the U.S. and in Mexico.

    Thanks for the great resources!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly,
      I am so happy what I posted was useful for you too!
      Thank you for the suggestion of the Mexicanismo exhibit-I will definitely need to check it out!

      Delete
  6. Yadira -
    It was great reading about the photography exhibit at MOMA. My husband is really into photography and I suggested to him a visit to the exhibit. Now, I will for sure follow through on it. I look forward to hearing more about the exhibit it in class.

    It's amazing how much we can learn from each other. Ashley D. told me about an exhibit at the Academy of Science in San Francisco (on earthquakes). I went to it last weekend and it was fabulous. We need to continue to talk to each other and listen to one another because we will be so much better reaching for our goals as a group rather than simply as individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yadira, I noticed your gap in your subject area, extensive knowledge of theories of language acquisition, and couldn’t help but think about my personal experiences trying to learn a foreign language and how for a lack of better words I crashed and burned in my attempts. I remember, as it gave me nightmares in college, trying to learn Spanish and I would do the classes, I would watch the T.V. programs in Spanish, listen to music, even leave the music on at night, create flash card, etc., and nothing seemed to work. The nightmare component was that I would start to have dreams and my friends would all a sudden start to talk to me in Spanish and I would try to converse with them and then all of a sudden they would be talking so fast and I couldn’t keep up and no one would speak in English and I would wake myself up. So, if you find a best practice or best theory on language acquisition I’d love to hear about it and maybe try a different approach to learn Spanish as I would love to travel to South/Central America and actually be able to converse with the natives. I have traveled to Spain twice and managed to get by, but feel very ignorant why I cannot even converse with the locals. So, I wish you the best of luck in feeling that gap and reaching all your students in the process of learning a foreign language.

    ReplyDelete