Friday, July 27, 2012

Blog 5: The Challenges of Technology in Content Areas

The most relevant part of Dr. Robert's presentation was the clear differentiation between technology use and technology exposure. I never understood how these numbers were calculated, nor how data was collected. I thought it very interesting that although a student can be multitasking with three different technology outlets, the time only counts as one. An hour on the computer, simultaneous with 1 hour on the phone counts as 2 hours of exposure, but 1 hour of use. I was also astounded by the hours spent using technology, and it made me think of my own use. When I was growing up, we never had a computer until my senior year of high school when my sister-in-law gave me her old laptop. I also did not have a cell phone until I turned 18, or an iPod until I was 21.  My days were spent at school and after school was spent at Cross Country/Track practice, or AP review sessions, or attending club meetings. I saw maybe an hour a day of TV, during the week as a teen. I wonder if I were a teen today, how much technology would I use?  Would I have all the gadget that I see my students with on a daily basis? Would I be "plugged-in"? I really think I wouldn't because I've never been one too interested in technology. I have a cell phone, so I can make phone calls or send texts, not to play games. Even growing up, (aside from my awesome super Nintendo games) I had more fun playing Oregon Trail or Math blasters, than any current video game.  I have a laptop to do my homework and research, not to play games. I have an ipod to listen to music, not to play games.


As I read the New York Times article, "More Pupils are Learning Online, Fueling Debate on Quality", I think of online classes offered at Pittsburg High School and what it could do for students. PHS does not have a high graduation rate, and it is a constant battle for us to think of ways to help our students achieve and graduate. On one hand, I see the benefits of allowing kids to re-take a class online, but I also see huge drawbacks. I like the idea that a student can complete the online course at home, still allowing them to take a full course load at school. I realize this can be overwhelming for students, but if they want to graduate it has to be done.I also think that in low socioeconomic communities, or even communities where students do not have computers at home, online classes can prepare students for the technological world we live in today.  It can help them in college and in the job market.  I also think that offering electives that may not be cost efficient would be beneficial. For example, a drafting class. However, I do not think that an online class can promote the same type of deeper understanding as a "real life" class can. Who does the student go to if they need help? Wikipedia cannot answer all questions. Also, if a student can surf the web for answers, how do we know that the student learned anything? I understand that it is a "cheaper way of educating", but what are we going to do when we have a society that is not socialized? No one understands how to work with others? No one know how to function outside of virtual reality? I am constantly being asked by my colleagues and administration how I am integrating technology in my classroom. I use the technology that is available to me, I try to reserve time in the computer lab or get the mobile mac lab. I give them websites that can help them practice at home, but at times I find it hard to use technology when I have a pacing guide that I have to keep in mind. I would love to spend 2 weeks researching different regions in Latin America and doing presentations, but my reality is that I do not have that much time to spend on it.



The "Technology Resources for the Teacher" article has many great ideas and links to consider. The first link that interested me is the link to http://www.donorschoose.org I know that some teachers at our school have used it, as well as other friends in other districts. I think it really is a great site and can be beneficial in many ways. I really want a class set of nice mini whiteboards with markers. I am only alloted "x" amount to spend on supplies, and all other things come out of my pocket. Donorschoose would be a great way to be able to get the whiteboards, and still have my allotment for other necessary supplies. The next link that got my attention is http://www.dropbox.com/. I was turned onto dropbox two years ago as a way to share files with a friend, and I have applied it to my classroom. It is really the best! I have dropbox on my computer at home and on my computer at school and never have to worry about bringing a USB or emailing things to myself. It has saved me from a lot of heartache! Another site that grabbed my attention is http://www.techsmith.com/download/jing/ . I cannot wait to install it on my computer at school so I can create narrated lessons to have on file for when I get sick! Last year I had a cold and/or the flu about 3 times. My voice really took a beating those days, and I wish I would've know about this site last year! I also really like the idea of http://www.chatzy.com/ When I take my kids to the computer lab, I answer the same question 40 times, and this would give me more time to spend with students working on their actual research or project, instead of answering how to change the font 40 times. It would also allow students that are more tech savy to use their skills and answer their peers' questions. I think this document is a great resource for many different elements in teaching! I am excited to explore it further in my classroom next year!



See my comments: http://mademoisellescott.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment